Thursday, March 19, 2009

To do or not to do

I am a task-driven person by nature. I thrive on knowing what needs to be accomplished and getting it all done. It figures that God would use the enormous challenge of motherhood to strip that control away from me! My husband often comes home to find me in one of two moods: if I accomplish much (clean, fold laundry, pay bills), I am in a great mood, but if I accomplish "only" taking care of the children, I am frustrated. As if my time was so valuable that the "important" tasks of managing the home were a priority and the menial tasks of motherhood, the diapers and snotty noses, were an annoyance and simply a hindrance to my "real" job.

It's so easy for me to fall into this trap when laundry and cleaning can be measured. I can visually see the result of my work when I tidy up the home. But who can measure the time spent with my children? Will they remember that Mommy treated them as valuables or that I was frustrated when they kept me from something else? Will they know that I was there for EVERYTHING they needed or just there for damage control?

Lord, help my heart to be joyful in the days where my only task is to nurture my children.

6 comments:

  1. I check out your new blog and you're already pouncing on my toes? I thought only Ross was good at that on Sundays. Just kidding. I can totally identify with this post...very timely for me. Sometimes it's hard to believe that one day we will miss the simple taking care of our little ones, but that day will be here before we know it. Thanks for the reminder to be where I am and do what I am called to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I figure if I have to be convicted about something I might as well share the pain, I mean love :) As iron sharpens iron, right? Thanks for reading!

    PS - I loved the pictures of your flying boxer. I can hear Bunny now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer! It's so easy for us as Mom's to just focus on what needs to get done, isn't it? I loved your prayer.... we need to be joyful and to focus on nurturing our children. If we take care of that, other things fall into place, don't they!? Thanks for the wonderful reminder!

    It was so nice to get your comment on my blog. :)

    Blessings,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I struggle with this daily as well. I also struggle with the guilt on days that I did more for "me" than for the nurturing of them. As an early childhood professional, it's doubly frustrating to know what I have taught and accomplished with other people's children in the past and what I can't seem to find the time for in the now. Sometimes I yearn for a simpler life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa, keep pressing to nurture your children! Although we may sacrifice things our culture tells us are important (careers, hobbies, TIME), our efforts are not in vain. Let's take the time we have to walk with our children, teaching and training them along the way! I pray God gives you the grace to continue steadfastly in the journey of motherhood!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh!... I like this A LOT! Wonderful words of wisdom here... definitely can relate and this speaks to me so much. Thank you for this encouraging reminder.

    ReplyDelete